Many of us trust our doctors to do what is right for our ailment. They are the experts, we are the patients - what do we know? On my journey to getting to the diagnosis, I was prescribed so many different drugs to mask the pain. Hydrocodone, Tramadol, Ultram, Darvocet, Tylenol 3- were just of few of the ones I tried. I was in so much physical pain, I was willing to try whatever the "dude in the white coat" prescribed. Diazapam, Flexerill - just a few that would relax my muscles.... Lunesta, Ambien - because I definately couldn't sleep through the night. Paxil to ease the anxiety about being bedridden and unable to work, or function in my home, and Lyrica to ease the nerve pain.
I had a night stand full of medications - each one with it's own side affects. Stomach ulcers, bloating, headaches, diarrhea - were just a few of the extra ailments I had to endure.
I had nerve treatments, pain blockers - so many tests that it was all a blur. You can imagine having someone knock you out with anesthetic, wake you up, jolt a nerve, and knock you back out so they can kill the nerve ending... and this happens 20 times per procedure.
The pain medication depleted my B12 - and the B vitamins help your body produce seratonin - seratonin produces sleep. So, needless to say, after taking pain meds for a few months, I had to take a sleeping aid to get any rest.
When they prescribe the pain meds, they forget to tell you that, besides becoming dependant on the pain medication.. and muscle relaxers, you will also become dependant on the sleeping aids. It is such a vicious cycle.
So - my medications were
Darvocet for pain
Ambien for sleep
Flexerill for relaxing the muscles
Paxil for anxiety
But trust me, my friends, your diagnosis doesn't have to be like mine. I have worked out all the "kinks" and I can help you find a better way to manage it all. My diagnosis came with so little information, you have Fibro - deal with it.
Hang in there as I continue to uncover my journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment